Pest Control Guide - Cockroaches in IN, KY, & IL
For every cockroach you see, there can easily be 200 more hiding behind your wall. They can reach lengths of 18 to 60 mm depending on species. They feed omnivorously on various organic substances, including tissue, leather and paper. The most common types of roaches include:
- American Cockroaches are about 1 3/8" to 2 3/8" in length.
- American cockroaches are reddish in color with a yellow band around the pronotum located behind the head.
- Males and females are fully winged but are not capable of full flight merely fluttering from raised locations.
- The females lay up to sixteen eggs in a protected shell called an ootheca.
- The female can lay up to 8 ootheca in one year.
- American Cockroaches typically are found in large commercial buildings and in sewer systems but they may also be found in attics of homes.
- American Cockroaches may live for up to two years.
- Controlling American Cockroaches can be tough. Trying to locate breeding sites can be difficult.
- Sealing cracks in walls and floors will help keep Americans from entering certain areas.
- Drilling wall voids and placing a long term residual dust in the walls maybe necessary.
- The use of gel baits in areas of activity works well in controlling American Cockroaches.
- Placing gel bait feeding stations in specific locations will help control populations.
- Oriental Cockroach males are about 1" in length while females are 1" in length.
- Oriental Cockroaches are dark red to black.
- Females are wingless while males have wings that cover ¾ the length of their bodies but are not capable of flight.
- Nymphs are generally reddish and then turn darker.
- Commonly referred to as "waterbugs" because they are often located around water.
- Treat the exterior perimeter of the structure.
- Treat stoops and steps of homes and buildings.
- Treat all rooms on the interior of the structure.
- Treat basements and crawlspaces with liquid insecticide.
- Use insecticide bait in conjunction with liquid treatments.
- Use granule bait on the exterior perimeter of the structure.
- Dust wall voids and pipe openings.
- Exclusion around windows and doors.
- German Cockroaches are 1/2'" to 5/8" in length.
- Adult German Cockroaches are golden with black marks on the pronotum.
- Nymph German Cockroaches are black with golden brown markings on the pronotum.
- German Cockroaches are the most significant of all the cockroach species due to their ability to infest structures.
- They are worldwide in distribution.
- Use insecticide baits when possible.
- Dust wall voids and appliances where cockroaches may be breeding.
- Treat all areas with an approved liquid insecticide mixed with an insect growth regulator.
- Remove standing water.
- Repair needed damaged areas.
- Address sanitation concerns.
Looking for a price? Get a no cost, no obligation free estimate.